What is a glycerite?
A glycerite is made by using vegetable glycerin to extract plant constituents without using alcohol. Vegetable glycerin is extremely beneficial for the skin and can provide a great deal of moisturization. You can easily add a glycerite to a facial serum or body lotion. Vegetable glycerin is water and alcohol soluble making it a great choice to use for water-based formulations. Glycerin can be sticky if not diluted, so you always want to make sure you dilute your glycerin or glycerite with distilled water, a hydrosol, or other botanical extracts.
- Fresh or dried mint
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Distilled Water
Take whatever size glass container you wish to use and add the following:
- Fill 2/3 container with fresh mint. If you are using dried mint, only fill 1/2 of the container.
- 3 parts vegetable glycerin
- 1 part distilled water
- Cover mint completely with water and glycerin
- Agitate daily for 30 days.
- Strain with cheesecloth into clean glass container.
- Label and date.
Use your glycerite in a water-based skincare formulation. Your skin will love it!